Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Random

Monday night I dreamt that my little brother was being tortured and potentially dismembered. I was very disturbed (of course) upon waking up, but can't remember any of the details. Unfortunately, I guess that's what happens when you watch 4 straight hours of "24"...
Adam watched some show called "Sharkboy and Lavagirl" the other day and is now obsessed with being Sharkboy. He drew his own fin on a scrap piece of thick posterboard and wanted to cut it out so he could wear it. I guess it turned out ok... good enough for our level of craftiness, anyway.

Yesterday Adam randomly informed me, "Did you know that some girls look like boys?" He then proceeded to give me an example of a girl who (to him) looked like a boy... I won't share those details here though.

Last night the LDS missionaries came over and we fed them dinner. Nothing fancy - I wasn't going to stress myself out over it. I had the salad in the fridge all ready to go and was rearranging a few things when the bowl (glass, of course) slipped and it shattered (along with the lettuce, spinach, cheese, bacon, etc) all over the fridge and kitchen floor. I held in some explitives (as bad as I get, anyway) and cleaned everything up, trying to keep Adam out of it. Finished mopping up the floor and went to finish the chicken dish.
Back to the fridge to work on the chicken dish: I was getting a container of sour cream out when... I dropped it. The container burst open and it splattered even further than the salad had, including the fridge and all the way up both legs of my new jeans. I even found sour cream on the backside, though I'm not sure how that happened. Can we blame this on pregnancy or just my own clumsiness?! So, I changed my pants, got on my hands and knees to clean up the mess, and mopped the floor again.
Adam was being a great helper and was mixing up the crumb topping for the chicken casserole. All of the ingredients were in a tight ziplock bag and he was doing a great job while I did a few dishes. He showed me his progress and I told him we were done and ready to put it on top. Next thing I know, "Uh, Mom, I think I shook it too hard." I turned around to find the floor, counters, and Adam all covered in a buttery, poppy-seedy, cracker-crumb mess. He apparently got a little too vigorous in his shaking and the ziplock popped open, splattering its contents everywhere. Of course it was an accident, and I'd already made two messes of my own by then, so I thanked him for helping me--reminding him to please be more careful--and sent him to the bathroom to clean himself up. I salvaged what I could of the crumb mixture off the (clean, of course) counter and cleaned up the floor...for the 3rd time now.

I don't retell this to complain, because it wasn't that big of a deal. I was just glad I didn't blow up at anyone (Adam) at any point and that I was blessed with the extra patience and humor that I really needed!

This morning Guy and I awoke to Adam asking, "Hey, can you help me fold my clothes?" Guy had to get ready for work, so I told Adam to give me a minute while I finished waking up. By the time I went to his bedroom, this (above) is what I found. There had been a pile of clothes on the floor waiting to be folded, and I guess Adam decided to finally take the initiative. His clothes were very neatly folded and in piles all over his bedroom floor. He's such a funny kid and I love it when he acts so adult and teaches me lessons. Like reminding me, "Mom, you need to be more patient." Something I tell him all the time and lately he's been telling me as well. ...And he's usually right; though I don't always let him know that. ;)

13 comments:

Dean, Andrea, Tanner, Landon, & Braddock said...

Oh man! I think by the third thing to go wrong I probably would have cried! But I'd of course blame it on pregnancy hormones! ;) Adam's very inventive with that awesome shark fin! And what a good little laundry folder! He's getting SOOO big! He'll be such a good help with the twins!

Robby said...

Well....I'm glad I was not dismembered for real. But now I might be a little scared walking home from school in downtown SLC! ;-) The Sharkboy is hilarious...also because that kid has now grown up to be the heart throb of most teens and some 40 year old women. He's Jacob in New Moon....let's not let Adam aspire past Sharkboy okay? :)

Beth said...

What a post - there's a lot going on with you guys! Adam is definitely a clever, helpful and creative boy. I'm sorry about your series of unfortunate events, but it sounds like you handled it all with patience and grace. I have just one question. Did the missionaries get dinner? Were they aware of the sacrifices you went through just to feed them? We sure love you all!

Beth said...

Oops! I guess that was two questions!

Jacquee said...

Wow, I can sooooo relate to the clumsy dinner-making day. I've had many a repeated kitchen spill but it usually happens to me when I'm already stressed out and in a hurry. You bore it with grace! I would have ordered pizza after the 2nd spill.

Oh, and you can absolutely blame the clumsiness on being pregnant. Has the prenesia kicked in yet? (that's pregnancy-induced amnesia)

Katie said...

Too funny! (you handled it with grace as you always have) Just wait til you lose your balance and fall down and there is nothing you can do about it... that happened twice when I was 37 wks prego with Cassidy... down the front steps while I was cleaning.

Ummmmm.... do you have any more pics of that cute belly to share??

Becky Lewis said...

Hey, tell him he did better than Autumn and let me tell you I am worried about her going off on her own next year. What will she look like when she gets dressed! Adam is going to look awesome. And ya know, about the dinner.....what a funny memory to share later and be thankful there were not three little helpers under foot at that moment. There will be worse moments than this with three....someone getting you prepared I would say. Love ya.....XOXO

Laura said...

I am jealous! Adam folds laundry~!? I guess my kids not folding really is my own fault. Our kids are totally into shark boy and lava girl. We will have to get the sharkboys together.

Jenna said...

I can not believe that Adam folds laundry. Shea can't even really make his own bed. I really need to work on that - but anyway. I SOOO admire your patience. I HATE messes. Especially when I'm on a schedule - like someone coming over - and 3 in a row. You are such a good example!

Sue said...

i dreamed the other night that i was out on a date with justin, and guy called him on his cell & told him i knew too much, and he needed to "take care" of me...and he said OKAY! yeah...too much 24!

Tim and Sara said...

Ugh totally pregnancy!!! Aren't you supposed to get blessed for feeding the missionaries?? Man, you are way more patient than me.

Sue said...

and...someone pointed out to me that jacob (from twilight), is sharkboy! i can never look at him the same.

Sue said...

i just noticed rob already pointed that out...i should read more!