Thursday, October 22, 2009

One in a Million

That's what I thought my chances were of ever actually writing a post like this. Sometimes, on more frustrating days, I would've put that number even higher. But, here we are! And here are the facts...

True: I'm PREGNANT! Wait, did you hear me correctly? Just want to make sure because, after 8+ years, I just said that
I AM PREGNANT!!

A little background...
True: We went to California back in August for a fun vacation (and frozen bananas).
False: That was the main reason that we went there.

True: While in Cali, we also had the opportunity to meet with a great doctor and nurses at a fertility clinic. Of course, this process started well before then. But after weeks of self-inflicted injections, ultrasound appts, countless blood draws, and other funky meds, we'd finally made it to this point. IVF seems so unnatural, and yet, I couldn't help but to be amazed and humbled by it all.

True: 9/8/09. Another blood draw this morning--this time it's the big one. We wait around all day to hear the results. Finally at 5:30 we get a phone call from my favorite nurse. Guy and I are both on the line when she says, "We got your results in, and it looks like you're very pregnant!" At this point my mind clicks off and I just start bawling. She's rattling off all of these other numbers from the bloodwork, and I'm still registering her first sentence. I couldn't believe it! I wonder if I'll ever re-live this moment without crying, even now.

True: Despite the miracles of modern technology, I know with absolute certainty that we wouldn't be where we are right now without the unwavering faith and constant prayers of our friends and family. This fact has been confirmed to me over and over lately. It brings me to tears knowing how much people have cared about us personally and wanted this so much for us. Our prayers over the last 3+ years were originally in the direction of adoption. We want so much to adopt again (still do), but for some reason that avenue was not working for us. So over the last several months we started considering our fertility options again. I am so grateful for our awesome family and their constant prayers in our behalf. Even little nieces and nephews (and the big nieces and nephews:) who are barely old enough to even say a prayer. One young niece was so sincere in her prayer for us to bring another child into our family... she forgot Guy's name and prayed for me to get pregnant w/someone else, but I'm sure Heavenly Father knew what she meant. ;) I am just as humbled when I hear of good friends, and even people who we don't know that well, who have been praying for us. Of course I knew they cared, but I guess I didn't realize how much it meant to me.

False: I now have a baby growing in my tummy.
True: I now have TWO miraculous babies growing in my tummy! That's right... we're having TWINS!!

False: I feel like I'm out of the "danger zone" of early pregnancy.
True: I don't think I'll ever feel like that. Not until both of these babies are out and healthy. But, with the advice of a good friend, I have quickly come to determine something. Every second of every day of this pregnancy is a miracle. Pure and simple. (Man, all these tears! You'd think I was pregnant or something.) Of course I would be devastated if, for some reason, this gift was taken away tomorrow. I want nothing more than to continue carrying these amazing little miracles. I can't wait for the day when we find out their genders and when I get to start feeling them moving around inside of me. I can't wait to see Adam step into his role as big brother to these little guys whose progress he is already closely following ("How big are the babies today?" "Hey, the babies get to eat your chewed-up starburst too, Mom!";). But I can honestly say that I've been cherishing each day that I wake up and have to remind myself that I really am pregnant... I'm not just still dreaming. Each week is a milestone and a blessing. It'll be 11 on Saturday! Yes, still pretty early to announce this to the world (hey, I'm surprised I waited 6 weeks), but we've already told so many family and friends that, like I said, I'm livin' in the moment! Pregnancy "ticker" (top right) and all.

(That's all for now... many more posts to come:)

49 comments:

Amy and the boys said...

Kristen and Guy, this is amazing and wonderful news. I have a good friend who went through many rounds of IVF so I know a little bit about what a huge process it is. Congrats and Congrats- on both of those little babies you're carrying. I'm so happy for you! I know you'll enjoy every single minute of it- the good and the bad!

Lynn said...

Kristen!! that's so exciting! and good to cya at church last sunday! you're gonna be a cute prego gal!!!

Cyndi Holmes said...

Kristen, Guy and Adam! We at the Women's Clinic are so excited for all of you!! What a wonderful blessing. There are hardly enough words to express our happiness for you. We pray for a healthy pregnancy. Enjoy every minute of every day!!!! We love you and miss you very much and can't wait to know more. Thank you for including me in your announcement! Love always, Cyndi and your friends!

Laurel said...

Gosh, I have tears reading this post and I already knew! I am so, so happy for you guys.

And yes, you ARE going to be a very cute prego girl. We love you!

Chelsea said...

We're so excited for you! I almost announced it during RS last Sunday, but then decided I had better leave it up to you to make the big announcement yourself! Glad it's now out in the open...what a miracle and we are so excited to follow your progress as well! CONGRATS!

Beth said...

I'm bawling and I already knew! I can't even express how excited I am for you guys and how grateful I am to Heavenly Father for this long and constantly prayed for miracle! You and Guy are awesome parents and those little twins are so blessed to be coming into your home and family. They've also got a great big brother waiting for them. We love you guys and want to follow your progress every wonderful step of the way!!!

Scott said...

Congratulations again you guys! We are so excited for you (and for us - two more new cousins!). Those little guys (I mean that in a gender neutral way, for now) sure are lucky to have you two as parents. We love you!

Scott (and Laura, I'm sure).

The Leakes said...

Congratulations!!! We are SO happy for you guys! We'll keep your little family in our prayers and we wish you all the best during these next few months! Keep enjoying it all, it only gets better!

Steph said...

AMAZING! Now I'm crying too :) Congrats, I'm so so so excited for you!!!!

Laurie said...

Kristen, I'm SO SO SO happy for you guys! My brother-in-law and his wife went through the same thing and now they're only about 2 weeks from delivery. All little ones are miracles, but there's just something extra special about these particular little ones - they're just super stars! Big big congratulations!

Alan said...

Congratulations! I bet Adam will be a great big brother.

T & E's Blog said...

What an answer to prayers! We are absolutely thrilled to hear the news!!!!! This is so wonderful!!! I look forward to the baby bump photos!!!

Dan and Holly said...

Kristen and Guy, we are SOOOO Happy for you!!! Wow, that is so neat!!! Congratulations! 2 babies? That is so awesome! We'll keep you in our prayers that things continue to go well!

JulieAnn said...

Wow that's AWESOME! I'm so happy for you.

Natalie said...

Kristen, I am soo excited to hear this news. There is nothing more amazing then feeling that baby move and experiencing this gift called pregnancy. Its so amazing that things have worked out for you guys and that prayers were answered. Congratulations. I wish you nothing but luck and happiness for a healthy and great pregnancy!!

Sue said...

sobbing...and i'm not pregnant! what's my excuse?! not a day goes by when you are not in our prayers...even still. GRATEFUL, is really all i can feel when i think of you & your little peanuts! just wish we were closer.

Alicia said...

I am so so so happy about this news. You two deserve every second of this miracle. (I'm also pretty excited about our babies being so close together. Yay!)

CHRIS and JENNY. said...

I am SOOOO excited for you guys. What a fabulous blessing! (p.s. I am happy crying right now as i write this because i KNOW how elated you are right now). Chris and I have been trying now for 3 years...doing fertility for the past 10 months....invitro is our next step. What truly exciting news.... so, so happy for you guys!!! Keep us posted : )

Juli said...

How Awesome! I am so happy for you! I hope everything continues to go well.

Anna and Dell said...

Congratulations!!! We did IVF for all our kids too and it is a miracle. We're so happy for you. Don't you love the progesterone shots? :)

gassins said...

We are so happy for you. So so so SOOOOOOOO happy! Really. You're still in our prayers and will be until these kiddos are out, healthy, and in your arms!! We love you guys!

RaQuelle Willey said...

If I can write through my tears, wow! We are so excited for you and these two little blessings. Wish you the best through the rest of your pregnancy, congrats!

Karen said...

What wonderful news!! So excited for you, Guy, and Adam!! What lucky little "twins" to have you both for parents!! CONGRATS!

Jim said...

comment #22, and you just posted a few hours ago? yeah, I'd say you have just a couple people happy for you... :)
i can't even read this w/o crying, I can only imagine you trying to write it:)
We need to see pic's of kidneybean A and kidneybean B.
love you.

Aaron and Kristel said...

Words can't express how excited Aaron and I for you! Congrats and we can't wait for their arrival!

Jenni said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Wow. I am beyond-words thrilled for you guys. And TWINS! You are an amazing family and these two little babies will be so blessed to have you for a mother! More Exclamation Points!!!!!!! We will keep you guys in our prayers that all continues to go well. Congrats again!

Unknown said...

Yep, I'm crying too. We're so excited for you guys.

TWINS!! I never followed-up with you to find out if you were carrying 1 or 2. That's so amazing and exciting.

The Lam Fam said...

Kristin, Guy, and Adam, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! We couldn't be happier for you! I started crying while reading your blog out loud to Quint. These babies are joining an amazing family. We will pray for their safe trip into your arms! :)

Jacquee said...

That's so amazing, Congratulations! I got teary myself reading your story. Good luck and keep posting!

Rebecca said...

Kristin, I am SO THRILLED for you and your family! What fabulous, amazing, wonderful news! Thank you for sharing. You and those sweet, tiny babies will be in our prayers! Lots of love!!
~Becca

Jessica said...

Congratulations to you guys! We are so excited for you, what an amazing story and process...when I got the email telling us to check it out, I thought for sure it was adoption...this is totally awesome and wonderful. I loved hearing all your thoughts.

Amanda said...

I have to say when I got your email, I had a feeling you were actually pregnant! I can't even imagine the overwhelming joy you must be feeling every day....just like waking up on Christmas morning over and over again. I have to say, as soon as the babies are here, it is still like that. You both are such huge examples of faith, diligence, and righteousness. You will be amazing parents to yet two more beautiful babies. Congratulations to you all! I can't remember the last time I felt this happy for someone...

Jill said...

Congratulations!!! I know we haven't kept in touch very much, but I am soooo excited for you and your family. There still are modern-day miracles!

Devon said...

I am so excited for you guys! Congratulations and I absolutely loved reading all about this. Your blog is terrific and you have such an amazing family!

Kendee said...

I am so so happy for you, Guy and for Adam, the dude.

Katie said...

It was so good to see you and spend some time... I am still so excited for you! If anyone can handle twins it is you two- with Adam's help of course:). Many prayers continue on your behalf. Can't wait to see that belly!

Shalet said...

Again, congrats!! We're so thrilled for you!!.

Kim said...

Hi Kristen and Guy, it's Kim Sondrup, Teral Camara's mom. Teral told me the good news a few days ago. I kept saying "I knew it, I knew it". Ever since you had started a friendship with Teral and Eddie I have prayed that Heavenly Father would give you the thing you wanted the most: a baby. I had a feeling that prayer would be answered when you finished school.

Unknown said...

Hi, this is RaQuelle Willey's mom. She was so excited about your wonderful news and wanted to share. We too are so very excited for you and your family. These babies are very special and will be such a wonderful blessing to you always! What a wonderful miracle!!!

cheryl said...

Congratulations to you guys!! And twins too!! Double the blessings. We are so happy for you!

Becky Lewis said...

I don't know if you realize how close to our own experience this all is. Only it was 10 years when we finally were expecting Eddy after we had adopted also. I know sooooo many of the same emotions that you are feeling. Keep a good journal...........you will be so happy you did. And I messed up you comments, can you go and post it again.....Autumn didn't get to see it. We LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! I'll babysit ANYTIME!

Micah C said...

So excited for you!! I am really bummed that I didn't get to see you more when you were here.

Jackson & Catherine Lever said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE love and miss you and your family. Thank you for sharing the good news!

Jackson & Catherine Lever

Kelsey & David Barber said...

Kristin I couldn't be happier for you guys! How fun that you will be having twins! I was so excited when I heard the news. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Post pictures when you start to show! I want to see you with a little bump =)

Marci said...

We are SO excited for you! You have been in our prayers many times throughout the last many years. Having a baby is such a miracle and we are so happy for your family! We love you guys!

:-) Mama of SIX! said...

Big congrats to you! I am Karen's friend in Tucson,AZ. I am expecting twins also. I am almost 28 weeks. If you have ANY questions please email me! jannettebashams@gmail.com
my blog is jannettebasham.blogspot.com
I've been waiting to be out of the "danger zone" and came to the conclusion that there isn't one of those with twins... I'm sorry. So please be EXTRA careful your entire pregnancy! With everything! If you don't feel right CALL YOUR DOCTOR! Don't think it's normal. Twins is an entire different ball game! All the best!

Elizabeth said...

WAHOO!!!!! We are super excited for you guys!! A huge congratulations from the Shakespear's!!

Morris Family said...

Congrats! We are so excited and happy for you both. What an amazing miracle. How exciting to be getting two. Congrats, keep your blog updated so that we can follow your pregnancy!
love john and ali

Wolfley Family said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I came across your blog through Sue - Justin & Guy were my FHE brothers in Provo. Sue & I often joked we were the oldest women (and possibly ward members!) in that student ward. My husband & I are experiencing this in opposite order. We have two children and have been working with fertility specialists for almost six years now hoping we would be blessed with more but it seems unlikely. When I hear stories such as yours, after years of trying and then becoming pregnant, I am overcome with joy. Congratulations on your new little babies! They're in our prayers.