Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sarcasm

Is sarcasm a learned or inherited trait? My dad has it... I have it... (At very inappropriate times sometimes, too. Gotta learn to keep my mouth shut). ...And now, Adam is showing some promising/worrisome signs (wait, that wouldn't have to do w/inherited genes... but you know what I mean). Case in point: The other night, Adam was taking a shower as Guy and I were sitting just outside the bathroom door. He didn't have his usual (tear-free) soap so I gave him a regular bar of soap.
Me, reminding him like I always do when he uses bar soap: "Ok, Adam, just be careful not to get any in your eyes." (Having done this many times myself, I know it hurrrrrts!)


Adam, calling back through the door: "Thanks, mother. Thanks for telling me not to get the soap in my eyes. 'Cuz I forgot..."
Guy thought he was being sincere; I wasn't so sure. Because of the time of day (the later it gets the more he hams up conversations, trying to be funny), and the fact that he called me mother, I asked if he was being silly. "...Yeah, mom." This is probably a pointless post 'cuz you really had to be there, but I was just floored at this sarcastic response and tone coming from my 4-year-old. I wasn't expecting that until closer to the teenage years!

2 comments:

Laurel said...

That is awesome. :) And adorable. As I'm sure you've noticed, we are big fans of sarcasm in our family, too, and frequently say things at wildly inappropriate times, as well. I'm just glad I'm not alone! If that sense of sarcasm is inherited AS WELL AS learned, heaven help you with those twins on their way!

Beth said...

Sarcasm must be strong on BOTH sides of the family - have fun with that!