Thursday, April 08, 2010

Preeclampsia

I know I'm going to get in trouble pretty dang soon if I don't start updating on the incredible events of this past week. So put on your seat belts and prepare yourself for several posts and countless pictures! (Which, in reality, will likely not all get done in one sitting... still trying to catch up on sleep and recover from blood transfusion yesterday morning... so I apologize in advance for misspellings and any incoherentness;)


Monday, 3/29: Went in to doctor's office for regularly scheduled visit. Apparetly had a high amout of protein in the urine as well as some hypertension (elevated blood pressure) issues. After some bloodwork, etc, the doc sent me home w/new orders and scheduled me to come back for another visit in 2 days.


Wednesday, 3/31: Follow-up doctor's visit. Results from my bloodwork weren't looking too good... the doc decided to be cautious and admit me to the antepartum wing of hospital so my preeclampsia could be more closely monitored. He even suggested that I probably wouldn't get discharged from the hospital until I had the babies. WHAT?! I was a little thrown by this comment and started getting nervous. However, being on bedrest at the hospital seemed to improve my health quite a bit. After more bloodwork and close monitoring, my doc gave discharge orders. I was very grateful to not have to be there much more than 24 hours! Here's one last pic I asked Guy to take of me... knowing that it might be the last one of me pregnant.



SO... we were able to have a great Easter weekend together as a family at home, even though I was basically on ordered bedrest to keep my blood pressure down. Guy's mom had a long weekend off of work and decided to come up and help us out. She was an absolute lifesaver! Adam really enjoyed spending some special time with Grandma "Marshmallow", as he so affectionately calls her (she always spoils him w/marshmallows, one of his favorite treats). So I basically spent the weekend on the couch (I did insist on making a couple of Easter pies, though:) while everyone else worked on the remaining projects around the house. Even Adam did a great job at helping out... and choosing all of his clothes lately. :)



Adam joining in the silly Easter egg line-up...



Good thing Dad was there to help get those really high ones!



MY own giant easter egg... ;)



And check out the prego swelling on those legs! Poor sausage feet and toes. :) Adam and Guy (ok, ok, ...me too) have a little too much fun playing w/this phenomenon. Didn't take long for Adam to try all sorts of things on my indentable legs... using the imprint on the bottom of his shoes lately. Guy even made a mini "aquarium" on my calf using the imprint of a Swedish Fish candy. Oh well... I'm happy my discomfort can at least be of some entertainment to the family. ;) Guy was reasonably serious as he would constantly express concern over the tightness of my skin... he said, "I'm just worried your legs are going to all of a sudden pop like the skin on an overcooked brat!"

4 comments:

Marci said...

I think your legs still look good. I'm pretty sure that is what mine look like normally. :) You are such a cute prego!

Becky Lewis said...

I was worried about the edema when I saw you at the shower, but thank goodness all is working for the better now.

Katie said...

ohhh, thank you for all the updates!

Amy and the boys said...

Oh Kristin, that tummy is too much. Love that shot!!